Orthodontics refers to a sub-category of dentistry that focuses on the positioning of the teeth and jaw. A person will typically seek orthodontic treatment when their teeth are positioned improperly or when their jaw is misaligned. When these issues occur, it can ruin the look of one’s smile and make maintaining the teeth and gums more difficult. When untreated, orthodontic issues can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, jaw pain, headaches and neck straining.
Fairfield Smiles provides orthodontic treatment to prevent these issues and improve the overall appearance of one’s teeth. Orthodontic treatments involve using gentle pressure to continuously move the teeth into the proper positioning and to slowly adjust the jaw over time. Our experts are happy to discuss various treatment types and help patients determine the most effective option. Once treatment is completed, the patient will experience much-improved oral health and enjoy a more pleasing smile.
At Fairfield Smiles, we offer the following orthodontic treatments:
- Ceramic braces: This type of orthodontic treatment uses ceramic brackets and clear wires to slowly move the teeth into a more desirable position. These ceramic brackets are designed to blend in with the teeth, making them more discreet than traditional metal braces.
- Invisalign: Patients who receive Invisalign treatment will wear a series of clear aligners that continuously reposition the teeth over time. In order to achieve the desired results, a removable aligner must be worn for a minimum of 20 hours per day. Approximately, every two weeks, the current aligner will be replaced with a new one until the teeth reach their final positioning. Since the aligner is removable, a patient can eat and drink whatever they like while receiving Invisalign treatment. They will also be able to continue with their regular oral hygiene practices.
- Six Month Smiles: A special type of fast-acting braces, Six Month Smiles can correct various orthodontic issues with just six months of use. This is made possible with the low-force movement that the specialized brackets apply upon the teeth. Overall, the treatment is highly effective for patients who require the cosmetic straightening of traditional braces, without needing major corrections to their bite.
- In-House Clear Aligners: Fairfield Smiles offers their own clear aligners for patients who require orthodontic treatment. These aligners are custom-made using impressions of the patient’s teeth in order to provide the most effective results. They can be removed to eat and for oral hygiene.
- Retainers: A retainer is used following orthodontic treatment to prevent the teeth from reverting to their prior position. Both fixed and removable retainers are available, and they only require minimal maintenance and care. Most patients find that retainers are very comfortable and that they present minimal inconvenience.
The orthodontic treatments offered by Fairfield Smiles can help you achieve improved oral health and a more pleasing smile. Our experts are happy to help you determine the best possible treatment option for your needs. Please call us at 203-423-3833 to schedule an appointment.